Saturday, April 25, 2009

A new day

James Tate and Charles Pugh, two of the most articulate, intelligent men Detroit has to offer both announced last week they are leaving their jobs to run for City Council. Tate, the former spokesman of the Detroit Police Department and Pugh, a former anchor on Fox 2 News and local radio, headline a list of nearly 400 people who have picked up petitions to run for city council. I see it as a sign that Detroiters have grown tired of the antics of the current city council. 

From offensive comments to the inability to get things done (Cobo Hall), the current City Council has been a disaster. The time has come for change, and I think James Tate and Charles Pugh can be that change for the city, and the region. 

As a suburbanite who has been horrified by the recent work of City Council, I could not be happier to see some citizens stepping forward to take leadership roles. For things within the city limits to improve, ideas must come from Detroit, not from the suburbs or state government. It's with a sense of optimism that I see these candidates stepping forward to take on some of the issues the city faces. 

3 comments:

  1. Add former Detective Gary Brown to that list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to see this optimism as well. Although I think there should be more input from the Suburbs. They certainly shouldn't put up such a wall and say their opinion doesn't matter. Because it does. Do they deserve to hold a seat on the council (Suburbanites) no it's not their city. But I guess I'm saying, if the suburbs want an opinion buy a large block of land in Detroit, and demand they have representation on the city council. Shoot if Kirk Kerkorian can do it by buying just 7-10% of GM stock, the Suburbanites should be able to do it the same, if they were, colectively, the single largest land holder in the city of Detroit.
    As for these two, I couldn't be happier to see two people who are sick of the antics run for office. It's about time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, it's long past time.

    When you consider property values, I'd bet suburbanites could make a much bigger difference for a limited investment.

    ReplyDelete