Monday, April 6, 2009

Opening Day

Is there a better feeling that a new beginning? A realization that, even though snow blankets my front yard, summer is not far comes to me this morning as I read newspaper coverage of the Tigers who open their season this evening in Toronto. Baseball is back, and the excitement of a new season arrives. Last night I sat in front of my television, bemoaning the fall of the Detroit Pistons when I realized that there was another option, the Braves were playing the Phillies only two channels up the dial and suddenly remembered that warm weather is not too far away.

The optimism that this might be the year, the excitement to see if the new additions in the off season will really pay off trumps the cold windy morning that greeted each of us in Metro Detroit. I'll say that this season's Tiger team reminds me the most of the 2006 team, with unknown commodities such as Rick Porcello, and the addition of defensive minded players such as Adam Everett. Today, because it is the opener, I can hold out hope that this really will be the year. 

4 comments:

  1. John,

    I share your muses about the lingering, icy grip of winter. How odd last night that it was the Tigers who made me shiver and the Wings, playing a game on ice, who gave me the optimism and warmth of the upcoming spring Playoffs. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed - the NHL playoffs cannot come soon enough. Did you see Chelios' recent comments that he won't be in Detroit next season but will be playing somewhere else where he can get a few more minutes? I know we're set on the blue line, but I was sorry to read he'll be elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheli is in great shape for his age, but it might be time to hang 'em up. This is a speed game. What a great career, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's in better shape than many of the younger players and just about all the coaches in the NHL (most of whom are younger than he is). You're right though, it might be time for him to move away from hockey.

    ReplyDelete